General Motors Debuts Another Electric SUV
The 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV is set to make a splash when it hits dealers in the summer of 2023. Chevrolet is currently taking online reservations for the midsize Blazer EV. When you add your name to the list, after a $100 refundable deposit a local dealer will be in touch to complete the ordering process.
Chevrolet joins the EV crossover crowd
Chevrolet invited the automotive press, dealers and key customers to the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood, California, on a warm mid-July evening for the world debut of the all-new, all-electric 2024 Blazer EV. Clean Fleet Report will write more detailed reviews, including driving impressions and real-world electric range, when we have had the chance to get behind the wheel, which should be sometime in late 2022. Until then, here are some Blazer EV highlights.
- Developed from the ground-up as a fully electric SUV using the Ultium Platform
- Built in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, alongside the gasoline-powered Blazer
- Front, rear and all-wheel Drive options
- Four Blazer EV trims: 1LT, 2LT, RS and SS
- Single motors for the 1LT FWD and RS with FWD or RWD
- Dual electric motors for the 2LT, RS and SS with AWD
- Maximum Horsepower: 557
- Maximum Torque (ft.-lb.): 648
- 0 – 60 mph: “Less than” 4.0 seconds with the available Wide Open Watts mode on the SS
The Blazer SS looks like the top draw
- 1LT 247 miles
- 2LT 293 miles
- RS 320 miles
- SS 290 miles
- 11.2 kW onboard charger for Level 2 charging
- With 190 kW DC Fast charger 78 miles of range can be added in 10 minutes
- Regenerative braking with One Pedal Driving
- Seating for five adults with a flat rear floor
- Power, heated and ventilated front seats; rear outboard heated seats on RS and SS
- 11.0-inch driver configurable instrument display
- 17.7-inch infotainment screen
- Apple Car Play and Android Auto
- Wireless phone charging
- Wi-Fi hotspot
- Available Super Cruise–demonstrated here on the GMC Hummer EV–offers hands-free driving and, among other features, the ability to automatically change lanes
- Walk-up and walk-away lighting sequences with the front and rear lights
The Blazer dash sets a tech tone
The Blazer EV comes standard with advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) through Chevrolet Safety Assist that includes automatic emergency braking, front pedestrian braking, lane keep assist departure warning and forward collision alert.
As with all General Motors vehicles, the Blazer EV will be equipped with OnStar. A simple push of a button connects to a friendly representative to handle emergencies, directions and general assistance to make your driving experience safer and more enjoyable.
Pricing and Availability
The 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV 2LT and RS go on sale in summer 2023, priced starting around $47,595 and $51,995, respectively. The SS follows later in 2023, priced starting around $65,995, followed by the 1LT in early 2024 priced starting around $44,995. All prices do not include the mandatory destination fee.
More ways to plug in coming from GM
Observations: 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV
General Motors is on a roll, announcing several battery electric vehicles being built on the all-new, dedicated Ultium EV Platform. So far they have announced the 2023 GMC Hummer EV, Cadillac Lyriq EV, Chevrolet Silverado EV, and now the Chevrolet Blazer EV, with the Chevrolet Equinox EV next up. There are rumors (Chevrolet refuses to “comment on future product” other than to reiterate that it will have a completely zero-emission fleet by 2035 in North America) of an all-electric Corvette Stingray. Expect there to be a battery electric version of all the SUVs and trucks Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC make. Plus new models being dreamt up.
The Blazer EV is an important step for Chevrolet as all-electric vehicles expand from small cars into the wildly popular SUV and crossover category. Chevrolet understands the challenges of converting current Blazer owners into buying an all-electric version. Martin Hayes, Blazer EV chief engineer said: “Transitioning to an electric vehicle is seamless with the Blazer EV, with every element and feature having been designed to help customers take full control of their driving experience and enjoy every minute of it.”
Our take–after seeing it up close at the reveal event–is it looks great. With four model options that will offer buyers choices of long range or performance, the 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV should be a hit.
The Blazer will offer a menu of choices
Make sure to opt-in to the Clean Fleet Report newsletter (top right of page) to be notified of all new stories and vehicle reviews, including a full report on the Blazer EV’s on- and off-road performance, charging speed and driving range when we’ve had a chance to drive it in the real world.
Story by John Faulkner. Photos by John Faulkner and Chevrolet.
John Faulkner is Road Test Editor at Clean Fleet Report. He has more than 30 years’ experience branding, launching and marketing automobiles. He has worked with General Motors (all Divisions), Chrysler (Dodge, Jeep, Eagle), Ford and Lincoln-Mercury, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Toyota on consumer events and sales training programs. His interest in automobiles is broad and deep, beginning as a child riding in the back seat of his parent’s 1950 Studebaker. He is a journalist member of the Motor Press Guild.